Resilient and logical thinkers
‘1 is not a prime number’
Why do we teach maths?
- To prepare students for the maths that they will experience in life
- Build resilience through the navigation of difficult topics and concepts
- To develop a logical system of thinking that can be applied to complex problems in different fields
- Numerate individuals who are able to make sense of mathematical information
What is magical about maths?
Maths has the ability to connect seemingly unrelated ideas. The only universal language.
‘Mathematics is a beautiful, imaginative, logical art’ Ben Orlin
A mathematician at OSSMA aspires to: (NC)
- Rapidly and accurately recall and apply facts and concepts
- Reason mathematically; following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and justifying answers using mathematical language
- Behave mathematically; tackling complex problems using a range of strategies and persevering in seeking solutions
- Have high standards of disciplinary knowledge, drawing diagrams and presenting work accurately