Beaconsfield Drive
Blurton
Stoke-on-Trent
ST3 3JD
01782 882200

Consultation

 

Ormiston Sir Stanley Matthews Academy (OSSMA) has launched a consultation on its sixth form provision.

The academy is asking people for their views on whether its Sixth Form should continue after 2019, while ensuring that the current cohort of Sixth Form students complete their studies. 

If it was decided to wind down the sixth form, then it would ensure all OSSMA’s emphasis would be placed on the education of students in Years 7 to 11.

The academy, sponsored by Ormiston Academies Trust (OAT), continues to go from strength to strength, raising standards and attainment across the board. Its success was recognised in a glowing Ofsted report earlier this month, which saw OSSMA rated ‘Outstanding’ for personal development, behaviour and welfare, and ‘Good’ in every other category.

This summer, we also celebrated brilliant results at GCSE with 61% of students achieving a Grade 4 or better in English and maths – an impressive 9 percentage-point increase on the equivalent proportion last year.

These impressive results saw us achieving a Progress 8 score of +0.19, which equates to each student achieving on average almost a fifth of a GCSE grade better per subject than they had been expected to achieve when they joined the academy. This is above the national “average” progress, according to the Department for Education.

 

The consultation will run from now until Friday 12th January and the consultation documents can be found here:

Consultation Document

Response Form

 

Principal of Ormiston Sir Stanley Matthew Academy, Mark Stanyer said:

“There are a lot of sixth form places available in the area and we need to ensure that OSSMA as a whole continues to maintain the very high quality of education that our students deserve. 

“We want to hear what people think about the future of our sixth form, and whatever decision is then taken, it will be, as ever, in the best interests of the young people we serve.”

 

Chair of Governors, Caroline Law said:

“It is the governing body’s priority to ensure that the academy continues to provide a high-quality education to all our students and the consultation will allow us to gauge people’s priorities.

“We are extremely proud of the achievements of our Sixth Form but it is of course essential that we have the numbers and funding to continue the provision. If it is decided to close the provision, then all current students will absolutely be able to complete their sixth form studies with us but no Year 12 students would be admitted from September 2018. Undertaking the consultation now will also allow current Year 11 students to make informed decisions on the next steps for their education.”